Friday, February 18, 2011

Why I am single, and perhaps why you are too.

I guess since Valentine's Day has just passed people are starting to write the elusive "Why are you Single" article. Like every single woman, I read hoping to find some new insight into my quest for love. Hoping to find something practical that I can start doing right now, and Mr. Right (ala George Clooney) will show up at my door. We will fall madly in love and live happily ever after (until Hugh Jackman shows up).

As I have read this last batch of articles (that never seem to apply to me) I thought, who better to evaluate why I am single, than me. So following is my take on the subject:


I am single because:

I am either too picky or just not that desperate - Too picky always seems to be the party line of people trying to explain why you are single. I am still not quite sure what that’s suppose to mean. You have to deal with the choices you are given right? So what are they saying? Should I give the men over 65 a chance that like to hit on me? Sorry but I have a no gator, no linen suit policy. Although I have never really had a relationship with either of my grandfathers, its safe to say I don't have Grand Daddy issues and therefore am not looking for a Grand Father figure in my man.


I have no clue where I am suppose to meet men: Through friends? Well none of my friends have friends to set me up with and since a good percentage of us are single girls, I think if we knew an eligible bachelor, we’d keep him for ourselves. Work? Well I am a teacher. If there is one thing I’ve learned in my years in the profession is this male teachers fall into three categories: married, gay or whores. Sometimes 2 of 3. Sometimes a trifecta.


BlackSingles, BlackPeopleMeet, Match.com,eHarmony, enough said: Online dating was novel in 1999, before the masses had computers. There use to be a weeding out process, it was called a computer with Internet connection. Now they just let any fool buy a computer and you can get Internet for free just by walking into a library. If the selection of men on some of these websites (especially BlackPeopleMeet) is any indication of the dating pool, single is where I need to be.


Cell phones: Perhaps if I look up from texting , Facebooking or checking email, long enough, I will make eye contact with my soul mate and we’ll live happily ever after. This however is contingent upon him looking up from his phone at the exact same instance I look up from mine. Seriously though, do people even meet each other out in the streets, the old fashion way anymore? Do people even noticed the person sitting next to them in the bar or on the airplane or in the line at the store? And then if you do happen to connect, do you actually have a relationship with that person or their handheld device?


I flat out refuse to date: It's like they say with the lottery, if you don’t play you cant win right? And just like the lottery dating, isn’t something I can afford to invest in right now. I know I know, its only a buck a week but in 52 weeks that's $52. Do you know how many cups of coffee I can get for that? Same with dating. (that one didn't make a lot of sense, but I like it)


So much like the other articles, this article brings me no aha's. George hasn't knocked on my door. At the end I really believe its about timing and luck. I don't believe that women who are in relationships are so much more together or enlightened or less picky than me. I think their timing and luck just merged at the right time.


All I can do is keep on living and loving my life and not text so much when I am out and about and who knows, perhaps one day I'll notice a nice/hot guy noticing me. I'll give him my cell phone number and we'll text each other across the room and see where things lead. :-)


2 comments: